1. Joining a corp
Maybe new players will make the mistake of leaving this till they are done with the tutorials, and in some cases that turns out to be never since they might never finish the tutorials. I suggest that you join a corp the moment you start Eve, there are plenty of there that will take you. Most new player corps are fairly open in what they offer, so even if you haven't decided what you want to specialise in they can help you while you find your feet. You can always leave your corp and find a new one if you find you interests and theirs are no longer aligned. But what should you look for in a corp? Preferably one with a low/no tax rate, a lot of members, and one that has been around for some time. I don't recommend E-Uni due to the length of the application process and the fact that it is too big, and personalised help is hard to come by, making use of the ingame recruitment tool is the best way to find a corp for new players, as you mature in your Eve lives the Corporation Recruitment Centre on the forums will be more useful.
2. Common New Player Misconceptions
You've probably heard a lot about how New Eden is a harsh, unforgiving universe. This is true, but people in NPC corps called 'carebears', who are afraid to leave the sanctuary of highsec, will often exaggerate these rumours. As I said in my last post, spontaneously going into lowsec to get a fight is a great idea, in my experience, most real pirates (not the ones who go suspect and sit on station in rookie systems) will be kind to a new player and may give you your stuff back and more. There are many other lies floating about, in general don't always believe what you are told.
3. Fitting
Too many times when I've look through the corp losses I've seen armour reps/plates on Cormorants. In general. be aware that Gallente/Amarr armour tank, Caldari shield tank and Minmatar ships depend on what ship it is, sometimes they ignore both and go for a speed tank. Another bad idea is putting civilian modules on your ship, they may have worked fine in the tutorial missions but will do bugger all outside of them.
There are two PVE fits for ships that new players of Caldari and Gallente race commonly used, but if you ever need a fit I suggest using battleclinic.4. Losing your ship to stupid mistakes
Another thing I noticed was the number of deaths to NPCs. The only time a death by NPC is understandable is when you are being warp scrambled, or a Sleeper Tower alphas (one-shots) your exploration frigate before it can cloak (that happened to my Anathema once). If you are taking too much damage in a mission you can simply warp out, thus saving you the pain of losing your shiny new ship. There were also a lot of venture deaths to rats (NPC pirates), the answer here is to simply not leave your keyboard while you are mining.
Another way in which a new player can lose his ship is by aggressing a suspect (yellow person). People in need of buffing their poor killboards will seek to kill noobs to make themselves look better. Linked is someone failing to do so. *Puffs out chest*. The flipside of this is that you can go suspect by taking from a cargo container, and then everyone can shoot you. The short story is: don't touch yellow things.
5. Mining isn't the only thing to do in Eve
Many people quit Eve because they thing it's too boring. I'm willing to wager that's because all they do is mine. Mining is okay for a source of income, but as a primary profession it is the most boring thing to do in Eve, and I really don't understand why anyone would do it. Many players do it because it is the only thing they can do, but finding a corp as I mentioned on point 1 will steer you away from this.
I hope you'll find this useful, keep reading my blog for more lols/infomation.



No comments:
Post a Comment